Friday, June 14, 2013

...eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we knit!...



This week is (hold on looking it up so I don't misinform) Craftsy knit in public week. That's the situation. So, I'm a crocheter. And a sewer. I just now realized sewer (Noun: An underground conduit for carrying off drainage water and waste matter) and sewer (A person who sews) are spelled the same way. Let us do away with the first definition for the time being. 

can knit, but I am not a knitter. Dana came over a couple weeks ago to show me the colonial form of knitting and my 9 year old son is all "oh I get it!"*clackity*clackity*clack*... After about 15 minutes I yelled "QUICK! GIVE ME A CROCHET HOOK!!!" Ahhhhhhhhh.............brain happy. I can only knit very small dishrags, or dishrags that are very very small. I'd really love to know how to knit. Some of the things you can create are difficult to mimic with crochet. But I guess it just isn't my forte for now. 

Every Friday afternoon, some of my peeps and I meet at a local coffee shop and work on a project we have going, or just sit and have a nice cup o' coffee. I love the community. Friendships being built, learning a new stitch, laughing... Friends are a precious commodity ...and I'm thankful for the new ones I have. On the agenda for today....knitting!! (I'll be keeping a crochet hook close at hand...)

My son had an idea using hand knitting to create a turtle shell. So we gave it a try...and it really turned out fabulous. I think I will be working on this today to add to my Etsy shop soon. Just need to finalize the rest of the turtle body.

On a different note...
Just about all ready for our annual trip to the Larkspur Renaissance Festival. A day of eating and merriment ...and coming home looking like we rolled in dirt all day. Girls are going to be pirates, oldest boy a very tall peasant. The other two boys are wearing these acrobat baggy pants and leather shoes, going shirtless, and wearing bandanas. None of the younger ones have showered for days because they insist on being as authentic as possible. I'm not sure what I'm doing. About my costume that is....not about showering.

See, usually the way we like to do things around here (I'm not sure about other families) is that all the kids, at the same approximate time, approach me with comments such as, "I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO WEAR!!!", or "this doesn't fit any more", or "MooooooOOOOoooommmmmmmm I can't find the corset!!!" You get the gist of it. So then in my wisdom as a mother who is trying to instill responsibility in my children, respond with "don't make me come down and look through that closet I just told you to look through!" Eventually, I instruct them gently to only approach me one at a time and if I'm not helping them yet then to get outa my face. 

The two or three days prior to the ren fest, or Halloween, or any event really, involves me altering, sewing, bossing and coercing them into the outfits they end up wearing in the end. ...a little face painting, last minute additions, sometimes complete changes in costumes.....And then 5 minutes before we leave I'm throwing together an outfit for myself. 


Works like a charm every time!



3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I also noticed the word sewer. I started giggling right away. Then I saw that you also caught it! You are definitely not a conduit, though you do channel lots of fun and good times. I hope you all enjoy the ren fest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee...not sure what colonial knitting is...but I did show you and your son how to continental knit. Stick with it...it's a great style of knitting.

    Can you turn me into a beautiful butterfly for the ren fest???

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONTINENTAL!!! See no wonder I couldn't get it right. I was doing a completely different stitch. Ok not really.
    Well, you're already beautiful, so all you need is wings! :)

    ReplyDelete