Wednesday, April 29, 2015

look up

Pikes Peak is something I look at every day. We all do...us people living in Colorado Springs. Visitors come from all over the world to drive to the top, or hike it, although that is less common. There are donuts up there. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the allure. Donuts are hard to resist. Even if it means having to drive up a precariously steep and windy road to get to them. 

We live in the shadow of beautiful "Sun Mountain Sitting Big". That's what the Ute Indians referred to it as. In the mornings, when I go on walks, the rising sun shines all over the range and "for purple mountain majesties" bursts into my head. Often it remains there for some time. It's just one of those songs. 

Pikes Peak from my car.
I'm not sure many locals have been to the top. When I was living in Kauai, some of the people living on the north part of the island had never been to the southern part. Had not even explored from sea to shining sea. I find that concept fascinating. And yet at the same time, I somewhat get it. Not everyone feels the need to explore, or adventure. And sometimes life gets sneaky and sucks you in...but not in the good sense...in the 'oops how did I lose sight?' sense. 

We always have a choice. If there is one thing we do have, it is choice. Whether we make the right one of not, now that's an entirely different matter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment